Thank you so much for checking out my blog. I adore surprise proposals and would be honored to capture yours. I must admit I get excited and nervous with my clients so I understand how you are feeling. I’m happy to share some great tips and suggestions I learned with my years of experience to help your proposal be everything you could ever imagine. Let’s get started…
- Start planning wayyyyyyyy in advance and try not to leave it last minute. A lot of thought goes into the location. Imagine trying to propose on a crowded beach on a Holiday weekend with thousands of people watching you and possibly getting in the way of the moment. Not very romantic and more chaotic than special.
- Keep things simple. This includes the overall plan but also giving so much detail to the plan that it creates confusion. If your story about getting to the proposal spot is so complicated and you say the wrong thing, the element of surprise is over.
- Try to act normal. This one is hard because you are nervous and possibly start sweating, twitching or even staring out into space. Your partner could start to wonder what is really going on.
- Don’t check your watch/cell phone checking the time too much before hand. I arrive 20 minutes early just in case stalling isn’t possible. You want to seem like this is just any other day.
- Once you get to the spot, make sure no sunglasses are on or no one is chewing gum. As a photographer, catching all the emotion of the moment is showed in the eyes. Chewing gum doesn’t look good in photos because it can make you look like you have extra teeth.
- Take a deep breath and really take the time to say what you want. Speak from the heart and try not to rush the words even though you are so excited you could explode.
- Do not try to hand your partner the ring standing over water, a creek, the ocean, anywhere that it could slip out of one’s hands and never been seen again.
- Enjoy every second. Moments like this is what is happy in life.